FC Tucson, the organizers of the preseason Desert Diamond Cup, which Chivas USA is participating in this year, announced last week that they will be bringing in Chivas de Guadalajara development team Chivas Rayadas to play in the Desert Diamond Cup final March 1, bumping the host club that day.
It represents a change for the tourney, and means Chivas USA could face their "brother" side if they amass the best record in the DDC, where the other sides are the Colorado Rapids, Chicago Fire, Real Salt Lake, and New England Revolution. Each of the MLS teams will play three games prior to the final day, where every team will play a final game with the opponent to be determined based on record over the previous games.
Chivas Rayadas recently featured former Chivas USA midfielder Martin Ponce among their ranks (it is unclear if he is currently on the team), and is a true farm team for Chivas de Guadalajara, in contrast to the quasi-farm team status Chivas USA has held over the past year.
What do you think? Leave a comment below!
- Former Chivas USA coach Chelís hired by Liga MX team Veracruz
- Preseason: Chivas USA defeat Orange County Blues 2-0 in scrimmage
- 2014 Preseason: Chivas USA depth chart through two weeks of training camp
- Why the LA Gunners rumor is (probably) entirely made up
- Preseason: Goalkeeper Larry Jackson on trial with Chivas USA